Lorraine Pascale’s Saturday morning show ‘Home Cooking Made Easy’ provided us with the chilli jam recipe and we thought some crispy tempura prawns would go perfectly with the dip.
For the prawns:
Packet of prawns
170grams corn flour
170grams of plain flour
1 ½ cups of cold water
Pinch of salt
1 eggFor the jam:
2 garlic cloves
2 red chillis
1cm chunk fresh ginger
250grams granulated sugar
60grams balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper
1. Sieve the corn flour and the plain flour in a bowl and add a pinch of salt.
2. Make a well in the mixture and crack an egg into the well, beat roughly.
3. Then add water and beat until smooth, don’t be alarmed by any lumps.
4. Heat vegetable oil in a pan.
5. Cover the prawns in plain flour then dip individually into the mixture, then drop straight into the hot oil.
6. Fry each prawn for about 4 minutes turning regularly then serve with the chilli jam.
1. To start this recipe, prepare the main ingredients. Measures out the tomatoes (don't worry if the weight is a little over or under), and chop them into quarters.
2. Then chop the two garlic cloves roughly, the two chillies finely, and grate the fresh ginger.
3. Next place the chopped ingredients into a food processor and add the balsamic vinegar, a pinch of salt and a good twist of black pepper.
4.Spin up the ingredients in the food processor for a few seconds until the big lumps have gone.
5. Then pour the mixture into a pan and boil for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until is turns syrupy.
6. After 25 - 30 minutes take the jam off the heat and leave to cool for 20 minutes.